The origin of the inferior epigastric artery in relation to the inguinal ligament in various periods of human life
Curr Issues Pharm Med Sci., Vol. 27, No. 3, Pages 171-174
1 Department of Human Anatomy, Medical University of Lublin; Lublin, Poland
2 St. John’s Cancer Center; Lublin, Poland
The aim of the study was to evaluate the origin of the inferior epigastric artery, in relation to the inguinal ligament, in various stages of human life. The study was conducted on randomly selected 220 non-fixed cadavers, including 110 males and 110 females, from the age of the 7th month of prenatal life, to 82 years. In all examined bodies, the inferior epigastric artery originated mostly from the external iliac, or less commonly, from the femoral artery. Three types of origin were observed: above, at the level or below the ligament. In males, the lowest incidence of typical anatomical origin, over the ligament, was observed in the group aged 60-69 years. Herein, the artery departed usually on the level of the ligament. The highest incidence of typical anatomical origin was found during the prenatal period and among children. Similar data, but with higher asymmetry, was revealed among females. The lowest incidence of typical origin was seen on the left side in the group aged 60-69. Less commonly, the artery originated at the level or occasionally below the ligament. In conclusion, the origin of the inferior epigastric artery differs throughout prenatal and postnatal life, in both sexes. However, it is usually located above the inguinal ligament.
inferior epigastric artery, external iliac artery, pelvis, inguinal ligament
- Adachi B. (editor): Das Arteriensystem der Japaner. Kaiserlich – Japanischen Universität, Kioto1928.
- Bochenek A., Reicher M. (editor): Anatomia człowieka. PZWL, Warszawa 2007.
- Buchel E.W., Dalke K.R., Hayakawa T.E.: Rethinking the superficial inferior epigastric artery flap in breast reconstruction: video demonstration of a rapid, reliable harvest technique. Can J Plast Surg, 21,99-100, 2013.
- Ebstein J., Arora A., Ellis H.: Surface anatomy of the inferior epigastric artery in relation to laparoscopic injury. Clin Anat, 17,400-408, 2004.
- Ercakmak B. et al: A combined anatomical variation of inferior epigastric vessels. Folia Morph, 71,267-268, 2012.
- Kopsch F.R. (editor):Rauber-Kopsch Lehrbuch u. Atlas der Anatomie des Menschen. VEB Georg Thieme, Leipzig 1955.
- Klepacki M. et al.: The origin of the deep circum flexiliac artery in relation to the inguinal ligament in various period of human life. Curr Issues Pharm Med Sci, 26,313-316, 2013.
- Levent S., Muzaffer S.: Multiple vessel variations in the retropubic region Folia Morph, 61,43-45, 2002.
- Levent S. et al.: Anastomotic vessels in the retropubic region: corona mortis. Folia Morph, 62,179-182, 2003.
- Luzsa G. (editor) X-ray anatomy of the vascular system. Akademiai Kiado, Budapest 1974.
- Manvikar P.R. et al.: Study of the course of inferior epigastric artery, with reference to laparoscopic portal. J Minim Access Surg, 9,154-158, 2013.
- Poirier P. (editor) :Traite d’anatomie humaine. Masson et Cie, Paris 1986.
- Pungpapong S.U., Thum-Umnauyauk S.: Incidence of corona mortis; preperitoneal anatomy for laparoscopic hernia repair. J Med Assoc Tai, 88,51-53, 2005.
- chroeter P. (editor): Zarys anatomii topograficznej. Wydawnictwo Trzaski Evert i Michalskiego, Warszawa 1922.
- Seo M.H. Et al: Influence of vascular twisting on the supermicro-anastomosis of superficial inferior epigastric artery. J Craniofac Surg, 24,1772-1780, 2013.
- Shanhan D., Jordan R.K .: Rare origin of inferior epigastric artery from anomalous medial circumflex femoral artery. J Anat, 191,611-613, 1997.
- Sieglbauer F. (editor):Lehrbuch der normalen Anatomie des Menschen. Urban & Schwarzenberg, Wien 1963.
- Sriprasad S. et al: Positional anatomy of vessels that may be damaged at laparoscopy: New access criteria based on CT and ultrasound to avoid vascular injury. J Endourol, 20,498-503, 2006.
- Steinberg C.R., Archer M., Steinberg I.: Measurement of the abdominal aorta after intravenous aortography in health and arteriosclerotic peripheral vascular disease. Am J Roentgenol, 95,703-708, 1965.
- Testut L., Latarjet A.( editor): Traite d’anatomie humaine. Doin&Cie, Paris 1948.
- Wormald J.C., Wade R.G., Figus A.: The increased risk of adverse outcomes in bilateral deep inferior epigastric artery perforator flap breast reconstruction compared to unilateral reconstruction: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg, 67,143-156,2014.
- Worobiew W.P., Sinielnikow R.D. (editor): Atłas anatomii czełowieka. Narkomzdraw SSSR Medgiz, Moskwa 1948.