A rapid detection for the inhibition of phosphoglucose isomerase from Escherichia coli by mercury(II) chloride based ...
Curr Issues Pharm Med Sci., Vol.27, No.2, Pages 127-130
Katarzyna Paradowska1, Joanna Lutek2, Grazyna Ginalska1
A rapid detection for the inhibition of phosphoglucose isomerase from Escherichia coli by mercury(II) chloride based on TLC-autographic analysis – preliminary studies
The quest for new techniques for screening inhibitors of phosphoglucose isomerase is crucially important owing to therapeutic control of chronic bacterial infections associated with the biosynthesis of bacterial biofilm. According to the new method, yellowish zones against the purple background could be visually observed where phosphoglucose isomerase activity was inhibited. The new protocol with NADPH/NBT/PMS staining for TLC-autographic method was able to detect PGI inhibition by pure reference substance as mercury(II) chloride.
- Adhami H-R., Farsam H. and Krenn L.: Screening of medicinal plants from Iranian traditional medicine for acetylcholinesterase inhibition. Phytother. Res., 25, 1148, 2011.
- Adhami H-R. et al.: Compounds from Gum Ammoniacum with acetylcholinesterase inhibitory activity. Sci. Pharm., 81, 793, 2013.
- Bednarz B.: Purification and characterization of phosphoglucose isomerase from E. coli ATCC 25922. Master’s thesis. Medical University of Lublin, Poland, 2010.
- Benamar H. et al.: Screening of Algerian medicinal plants for acetylcholinesterase inhibitory activity. J. Biol. Sci., 10, 1, 2010.
- Choma I.M. and Grzelak E.M.: Bioautography detection in thin-layer chromatography. J. Chromatogr. A., 1218, 2684, 2011.
- Dewanjee S. et al.: Bioautography and its scope in the field of natural product chemistry. J. Pharm. Anal., http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpha.2014.06.002.
- Ebrahim N. and Uebel R.A.: Direct inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2 enzyme by an extract of Harpagophytum procumbens, harpagoside and harpagide. AJPP., 5, 2209, 2011.
- Favre-Godal Q., Queiroz E.M., Wolfender J.-L.: Latest development in assessing antifungal activity using TLC-bioautography: A review. J. AOAC Int., 96, 1175, 2013.
- Frasco M.F. et al.: Mechanism of cholinesterase inhibition by inorganic mercury. FEBS. J., 274, 1849, 2007.
- Hassan A.M.S.: TLC bioautographic method for detecting lipase inhibitors. Phytochem. Anal., 23, 405, 2012.
- Ishaque A., Milhausen M. and Levy R.: On the absence of cysteine in glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase from Leuconostoc mesenteroides. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., 59, 894, 1974.
- Liang J.B., Yang Z.D., Shu Z.M. and Yu C.C.: A rapid thin-layer chromatography bioautographic method for detecting the monoamine oxidase inhibitors in plants. Nat. Proc. Res., 28, 1318, 2014.
- Maninang J.S., Lizada M.C.C. and Gemma H.: Inhibition of aldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme by Durian (Durio zibethinus Murray) fruit extract. Food Chem., 117, 352, 2009.
- Marston A., Kissling J. and Hostettmann K.: A rapid TLC bioautographic method for the detection of acetylcholinesterase and butyrylcholinesterase inhibitors in plants. Phytochem. Anal., 13, 51, 2002.
- Marston A.: Thin-layer chromatography with biological detection in phytochemistry. J. Chromatogr. A,1218, 2676, 2011.
- Mehrabani M. and al.: Evaluation of antifungal activities of Myrtus communis L. by bioautography method. Jundishapur J. Microbiol., 6, e8316, 2013.
- Móricz Á.M., Tyihák E. and Ott P.G.: Usefulness of transgenic luminescent bacteria in direct bioautographic investigation of chamomile extracts. J. Planar Chromatogr., 23, 180, 2010.
- Mroczek T. and Mazurek J.: Pressurized liquid extraction and anticholinesterase activity-based thin-layer chromatography with bioautography of Amaryllidaceae alkaloids. Anal. Chim. Acta, 633, 188, 2009.
- Pandey S. et al.: A novel method for screening beta-glucosidase inhibitors. BMC Microbiol., 13, 55, 2013.
- Paradowska K., Bednarz B. and Ginalska G.: Phosphoglucose isomerase from Escherichia coli ATCC 25922 – pilot studies. Annales UMCS, Sect. DDD, XXIII, 87, 2010.
- Patil N.N. et al.: Bioautography quided screening of antimicrobial compounds produced by Microbispora V2. Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., 2, 65, 2013.
- Ramallo A., Zacchino S.A. and Furlan R.L.E.: A rapid TLC autographic method for the detection of xanthine oxidase inhibitors and superoxide scavengers. Phytochem. Anal., 17, 15, 2006.
- Roe J.H. and Papadopoulos N.M.: The determination of fructose-6-phosphate and fructose-1,6-diphosphate. J. Biol. Chem., 210, 703, 1954.
- Salazar M.O. and Furlan R.L.E.: A rapid TLC autographic method for the detection of glucosidase inhibitors. Phytochem. Anal., 18, 209, 2007.
- Simões-Pires C.A. et al.: A TLC bioautographic method for the detection of α- and β-glucosidase inhibitors in plant extracts. Phytochem. Anal., 20, 511, 2009.
- Warburg O. and Christian W.: Isolation and crystallization of enolase. Biochem. Z, 310, 384, 1942.