Monitoring of liver function in patients with fatty liver disease in combination with coronary heart disease and type 2 diabetes
Current Issues in Pharmacy and Medical Sciences Vol. 26, No. 4, Pages 376-378
Krystyna Aksentiychuk, Natalye Kurlyak, Eugene Sklyarov
Department of Therapy, Faculty of Postgraduate Education, Danylo Halytsky Lviv National Medical University, Ukraine
The aim of the study was to examine the liver detoxification function by comparing a 13C- methacethine breath test, with a Forns formula and with liver transaminases in patients with coronary heart disease and type 2 diabetes mellitus in combination with nonalcoholic fatty disease Comparisons of the rates of metabolism (p <0.01) between cumulative dose at 40 minutes (p <0.01) with those at 120 minutes (p <0.01), in two groups of patients displayed more signs of steatohepatitis than signs of steatosis. Use of the 13C-methacetine test to diagnose pathological changes in the liver in the early stages of NAFLD (steatosis, steatohepatitis) is positively correlated with the Forns formula. It is likely to find fibrosis of the liver when Forns formula is over 4.25, 13C-breath test at least 10%, lower levels of ALT and bilirubin, and elevated triglycerides contrary.
Files to download
nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, steatosis, steatohepatitis, fibrosis, 13C- methacetine breathe test, Forns formula, ultrasonography
- Angulo P.: Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. / P. Angulo // The New Eng. J. Med., 346, 1221, 2002.
- Brunt M.: Histological assessment of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in adults and children / M. Elizabeth, M. Brunt // Clinical Liver Disease, 1, 107, 2012.
- Chalasani N.: The Diagnosis and Management of Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: Practice Guideline by the American Gastroenterological Association, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, and American College of Gastroenterology / N. Chalasani, Z. Younoss // Gastroenterology, 142, 1592, 2012.
- Chen C. H. Association between nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and coronary artery calcification / C. H. Chen, C. K. Nien, C. C. Yang, Y. H. Yeh // Digestive Diseases and Sciences., 55, 1752, 2010.
- Hamizah Razlan: Diagnostic Value of the 13C Methacetin Breath Test in Various Stages of Chronic Liver Disease / R. Hamizah, M. Nurhayaty, S. Mei-Ling, S. Azhar-Shah, O. Tze-Zen // Gastroenterology Research and Practice, 2011, 23, 2011.
- Kathleen E.: Assessment and management of comorbidities (including cardiovascular disease) in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease / E. Kathleen, R. Vuppalanchi // Clinical Liver Disease, 1,-113, 2012.
- Noureddin M., Loomba R.: Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: Indications for liver biopsy and noninvasive biomarkers / M. Noureddin, R. Loomba // Clinical Liver Disease.: 1,103, 2012.
- Petrolati D.: 13С-methacetin breath test for monitoring hepatic function in cirrhotic patients before and after liver transplantation / D. Petrolati, G. Festi, L. De Berardinis [et al.] // Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 785, 2003.
- Ramesh S.: Evaluation and management of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis / S. Ramesh, A. Sanyal // Journal of Hepatology. 42, 2, 2005.
- Tarquini R.: Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: a new challenge for cardiologists/ R. Tarquini, C. Lazzeri // Giornale Italiano di Cardiologia (Rome). 11, 660, 2010.