State of knowledge about drugs used during pregnancy and their toxicity to the fetus – preliminary report
Current Issues in Pharmacy and Medical Sciences Vol. 26, No. 2, Pages 211-214
IRENA MAŁGORZATA DUŚ1, MARIA LEPUCKA2, LIDIA HIRNLE2, MAŁGORZATA RADWAN-OCZKO1
1Department of Periodontology, Unit of Oral Pathology, Faculty of Dentistry, Wroclaw Medical University, Poland
2Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Faculty of Health Sciences, Wroclaw Medical University, Poland
Most drugs pass through the placenta because of its small weight. What remains inadequate, is patients’ awareness of pharmacotherapy during pregnancy. There are not so many experiments showing the knowledge about pharmacotherapy during pregnancy among women. In the present study authors wanted to demonstrate what is the knowledge of women about drugs toxicity in FDA pregnancy categories, the use of prescription drugs and biological products, and what kind of drugs, supplements of diet and herbal products were used by patients during pregnancy. The aim was also to reveal knowledge about drugs toxicity on fetus. Questionnaire survey was anonymous, and done by a midwife 1-3 days after parturition. Patients were women from region of Lower Silesia (Poland), who chose to give birth in the Clinic of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Chalubinskiego Street in Wroclaw. Research resulted in 60 questionnaires received from women. Percentage of patients, who had been taking supplementation with folic acid and vitamins reached 77%. As much as 45% of women who took part in research had used pharmacotherapy during pregnancy. From all women, 17% declared to have taken herbal preparations for common cold, fever, cough. Result of the study revealed that 23% of women who took part in the study knew about the FDA division of drugs used during pregnancy. The knowledge about possible teratogenic effect of the drugs is not yet well established among women after parturition. Special observations have to be done among pregnant women for broadening the knowledge about pharmacotherapy in pregnancy and women’s treatment habits during pregnancy.
Files to download
drug therapy, herb-drug interactions, drug toxicity, pregnancy pharmacology
- Czeizel A.E. et al.: A population-based case-control teratologic study of furazidine, a nitrofuran-derivative treatment during pregnancy. Clin. Nephrol., 53, 4, 2000.
- EMA, European Medicines Agency: Sambucus nigra L., flos; Doc.Ref.EMEA/HMPC/283170/2007Corr. Committee on Herbal Medicinal Products (HMPC), 3 July 2008.
- EMA, European Medicines Agency: Community herbal monograph on Althaea officinalis L., Radix. Doc.Ref.:EMEA/HMPC/98717/2008. Committee on Herbal Medicinal Products (HMPC), 14 May 2009.
- EMA, European Medicines Agency: Assessment report on Lavandula angustifolia Mill., aetheroleum and Lavandula angustifolia Mill., flos. Doc.Ref.EMA/HMPC/143183/2010, Committee on Herbal Medicinal Products (HMPC), 15 April 2011.
- EMA, European Medicines Agency: Community herbal monograph on Glycyrrhiza glabra L. and/or Glycyrrhiza inflata Bat. and/or Glycyrrhiza uralensis Fisch., radix EMA/HMPC/571119/2010. Committee on Herbal Medicinal Products (HMPC), 22 May 2012.
- EMA, European Medicines Agency: Community herbal monograph on Tilia cordata Miller, Tilia platyphyllos Scop., Tilia x vulgaris Heyne or their mixtures, flos. Committee on Herbal Medicinal Products (HMPC) EMA/HMPC/337066/2011, 22 May 2012
- Fakeye T.O., Adisa R., Musa I. E.: Attitude and use of herbal medicines among pregnant women in Nigeria. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 53, 9, 2009.
- FDA, Food and Drug Administration: Federal Register /Vol. 73, No. 104 /Thursday, May 29, 2008 / Proposed Rules 30831- 30868
- Katzung B.G., editor (2004). Basic and Clinical Pharmacology 12/E (LANGE Basic Science) (19th edition) of Katzung's Basic and Clinical Pharmacology. Chapter in the book:
- Koren G. editor (2004), Special Aspects of Perinatal and Pediatric Pharmacology. In: Special Topics, United States of America, Lange Medical Books/McGraw-Hill, p. 995-1002.
- Kim J.H., Scialli A. R.: Thalidomide: the tragedy of birth defects and the effective treatment of disease. Toxicological Sciences, 122, 1, 2011.
- Moos R. von, et al.: Thalidomide: from tragedy to promise. Swiss. Med. Wkly., 133, 5, 2003.
- Orzechowska-Juzwenko K., editors (2006). Farmakologia kliniczna. Znaczenie w praktyce medycznej. Wrocław: Górnicki Wydawnictwo Medyczne, Chapter in the book:
- Orzechowska-Juzwenko K. (2006) editor: Farmakoterapia w okresie ciąży. In: Indywidualizacja farmakoterapii. Wrocław: Górnicki Wydawnictwo Medyczne, p. 162-178.
- Rubinchik-Stern M., Eyal S.: Drug interactions at the human placenta: what is the evidence? Frontiers in Pharmacology, 126, 3, 2012.
- Szałek E., Grześkowiak E.: Bezpieczeństwo farmakoterapii w okresie ciąży (Safety of pharmacotherapy during pregnancy), Farmacja Współczesna, 02, 1, 2008.