Determination of trace amounts of imazalil and thiabendazole in water- pipe “shisha” tobacco by UPLC-Q-TOF-MS
Current Issues in Pharmacy and Medical Sciences Vol. 26, No. 2, Pages 163-166
PAWEŁ SZPOT*, GRZEGORZ BUSZEWICZ
The Laboratory of Forensic Toxicology Medical University of Lublin, Poland
The paper presents a method for determination of trace amounts of imazalil and thiabendazole in water-pipe tobacco. Fungicides were isolated with diisopropyl ether and analyzed by ultra-performance liquid chromatograph coupled with quadrupole – time of flight mass spectrometer (UPLC-Q-TOF-MS). The method for determination of imazalil and thiabendazole is highly sensitive. The
lowest calibrated levels (LCL) were 0.2 ng/g and 10 ng/g respectively. Calibration curve was characterized by a very good linearity in the range for 0.2 – 100 ng/g for imazalil and 10 – 100 ng/g for thiabendazole (determination coefficient was 0.999 in both cases). The precisions (R.S.D.%) ranged from 1.56 % (imazalil) to 1.53 % (thiabendazole). Mean recovery was 129.44 % for imazalil and 84.73 % for thiabendazole. Usage of hybrid quadrupole coupled with time-of-flight analyzer characterized by a very high resolution allows to identify the investigated compounds and to apply the developed technique in routine quality control of fungicides in plant matrix.
Files to download
tobacco, water-pipe, imazalil, thiabendazole, UPLC-Q-TOF-MS
- Cai J. et al.: Determination of pyrethroid residues in tobacco and cigarette smoke by capillary gas chromatography. J. Chromatogr. A, 964, 205, 2002.
- Chambers E. et al.: Systematic and comprehensive strategy for reducing matrix effects in LC/MS/MS analyses. J. Chromatogr. B, 852, 22, 2007.
- Cochran J.: Evaluation of comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography – time-of-flight mass spectrometry for the determination of pesticides in tobacco. J. Chromatogr. A, 1186, 202, 2008.
- Cooperation Centre for Scientific Research Relative to Tobacco, Guide No. 1: http://www.coresta.org/Guides/Guide-No01-GRLs(2nd-Issue-June08-Addendum-June10).pdf
- Haib J., Hofer I., Renaud J.-M.: Analysis of multiple pesticide residues in tobacco using pressurized liquid extraction, automated solid-phase extraction clean-up and gas chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry. J. Chromatogr. A, 1020, 173, 2003.
- Ibáñez M., Sancho J.V., Hernández F.: Rapid non-target screening of organic pollutants in water by ultraperformance liquid chromatography coupled to time-of-light mass spectrometry. TrAC, Trends Anal. Chem., 27, 481, 2008.
- Kuster M., de Alda M.L., Barceló D.: Liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometric analysis and regulatory issues of polar pesticides in natural and treated waters. J. Chromatogr. A, 1216, 520, 2009.
- Lee J.-M. et al.: Comparative study of pesticide multi-residue extraction in tobacco for gas chromatography–triple quadrupole mass spectrometry. J. Chromatogr. A, 1187, 25, 2008.
- Mach P. et al.: Waterpipe smoking among adolescents as a new unsurveyed worldwide phenomenon. Probl. Hig. Epidemiol., 91, 357, 2010.
- Mayer-Helm B., Hofbauer L., Müller J.: Method development for the determination of selected pesticides on tobacco by high-performance liquid chromatography–electrospray ionisation-tandem mass spectrometry. Talanta, 74, 1184, 2008.
- Mayer-Helm B.: Method development for the determination of 52 pesticides in tobacco by liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry. J. Chromatogr. A, 1216, 8953, 2009.
- Ortelli D. et al.: Multiresidue analysis of 74 pesticides in fruits and vegetables by liquid chromatography–electrospray–tandem mass spectrometry. Anal. Chim. Acta, 520, 33, 2004.
- Picó Y. et al.: Identification of unknown pesticides in fruits using ultra-performance liquid chromatography–quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry: Imazalil as a case study of quantification. J. Chromatogr. A, 1176, 123, 2007.
- Shihadeh A., Saleh R.: Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, “tar”, and nicotine in the mainstream smoke aerosol of the narghile water pipe. Food Chem. Toxicol., 43, 655, 2005.
- Shihadeh A.: Investigation of mainstream smoke aerosol of the argileh water pipe. Food Chem. Toxicol., 41, 143, 2003.
- Szpot P. et al.: Determination of imazalil and thiabendazole by UPLC- Q-TOF-MS – an analysis of a grapefruit extract-containing dietary supplement. Curr. Issues Pharm. Med. Sci., 25, 401, 2012.
- Thurman E.M. et al.: Discovering metabolites of post-harvest fungicides in citrus with liquid chromatography/time-of-flight mass spectrometry and ion trap tandem mass spectrometry. J. Chromatogr. A, 1082, 71, 2005.
- Yoshioka N. et al.: Rapid determination of five post-harvest fungicides and metabolite in citrus fruits by liquid chromatography/time-of-flight mass spectrometry with atmospheric pressure photoionization. Food Control., 21, 212, 2010.
- Yoshioka N. et al.: Rapid simultaneous determination of o-phenylphenol, diphenyl, thiabendazole, imazalil and its major metabolite in citrus fruits by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry using atmospheric pressure photoionization. J. Chromatogr. A, 1022, 145, 2004.
- Zamora T. et al.: Determination of tridemorph and other fungicide residues in fruit samples by liquid chromatography–electrospray tandem mass spectrometry. J. Chromatogr. A, 1045, 137, 2004.