Gelatinase activities and TIMP-2 serum level in alcohol cirrhosis and chronic pancreatitis
Current Issues in Pharmacy and Medical Sciences Vol. 26, No. 1, Pages 57-60
AGNIESZKA MĄDRO1, JOANNA KURZEPA2, GRAŻYNA CZECHOWSKA1,
MARIA SŁOMKA1, KRZYSZTOF CELIŃSKI1, JACEK KURZEPA3
1 Department of Gastroenterology with Endoscopic Unit, Medical University of Lublin, Poland
2 Department of Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital No. 4, Lublin, Poland
3 Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical University of Lublin, Poland
There are some divergent data concerning the role of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-2, MMP-9 and tissue inhibitor of MMP (TIMP)-2 in the pathogenesis of alcoholic cirrhosis (AC) and chronic pancreatitis (CP). Our objective was to evaluate the activity of MMP-2, MMP-9 and TIMP-2 serum levels in patients with AC and CP. Twenty-one patients with diagnosis of AC and twenty-two with CP admitted to the outpatient clinic for a control visit were enrolled. All results were compared with age and sex-matched control group (n=19). The sera obtained from venous blood were stored at -70°C for further analysis. Activity of MMP-2 and MMP-9 were evaluated with gelatin zymography, TIMP-2 serum level was analyzed with the usage of ELISA method. A significant decrease of serum MMP-2 activity was noted in sera of AC and CP patients in comparison with control. Activity of MMP-9 was elevated only in CP patients and TIMP-2 serum level was elevated only in AC patients. Decreased activity of MMP-2 in AC patients can contribute to cirrhosis development. The high level of MMP-9 in serum related to CP patients theoretically can exacerbate the inflammatory process within the pancreas.
Files to download
alcoholic cirrhosis, chronic pancreatitis, MMP-2, MMP-9, TIMP-2, zymography
- Akhmedov V.A., Budylgin A.V., Dolgikh V.T. The matrix metalloproteinase 9 (MMP-9) and TIMP-1 activities in patients with chronic and recurrent pancreatitis. Eksp Klin Gastroenterol., 6, 11, 2010.
- Bruno C.M. et al. Altered pattern of circulating matrix metalloproteinases -2, -9 and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase -2 in patient with HCV-related chronic hepatitis. Relationship to histological features. Panminerva. Med., 51, 191, 2009.
- Chen P. et al. Serum matrix metalloproteinase 9 as a marker for the assessment of severe acute pancreatitis. Tohoku. J. Exp. Med., 208, 261, 2006.
- Child C.G., Turcotte J.G. Surgery and portal hypertension. In: The liver and portal hypertension. 1964, Edited by CG Child. pp:50-64. Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Consolo M. et al. Matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors as markers of inflammation and fibrosis in chronic liver disease (Review). Int. J. Molecular Med., 24, 143, 2009.
- DeClerck Y.A. et al. Inhibition of autoproteolytic activation of interstitial procollagenase by recombinant metalloproteinase inhibitor MI/TIMP-2. J. Biol. Chem., 266, 3893, 1991.
- Descamps F.J. et al. In vivo activation of gelatinase B/MMP-9 by trypsin in acute pancreatitis is a permissive factor in streptozotocin-induced diabetes. J. Pathol., 204, 555, 2004.
- Dufour D.R. Assessment of liver fibrosis: can serum become the sample of choice? Clin. Chem., 51, 1763, 2005.
- El-Gindy I. et al. Diagnostic potential of serum matrix metalloproteinase-2 and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 as non-invasive markers of hepatic fibrosis with HCV related chronic liver disease. Egypt. J. Immunol., 10, 27, 2003.
- Fic P., Zakrocka I., Kurzepa J. et al. Matrix metalloproteinases and atherosclerosis. Postepy Hig. Med. Dosw. (Online), 65, 16, 2011.
- Gostiljac D. et al. The importance of defining serum MMP-9 concentration in diabetics as an early marker of the rupture of atheromatous plaque in acute coronary syndrome. Acta Physiol. Hung., 98, 91, 2011.
- Guo J., Xue P., Yang X.N. Serum Matrix Metalloproteinase-9 is an Early Marker of Pancreatic Necrosis in Patients with Severe Acute Pancreatitis. Hepatogastroenterology, 117, 1594, 2012.
- Ishihara T. et al. Immunohistochemical study of transforming growth factor-beta 1, matrix metalloproteinase-2,9, tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinase-1,2, and basement membrane components at pancreatic ducts in chronic pancreatitis. Pancreas, 17, 412, 1998.
- Kim J.Y et al. Early and late changes of MMP-2 and MMP-9 in bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis. Yonsei Med J., 50, 68, 2009.
- Krizkova S. et al. Clinical importance of matrix metalloproteinases. Bratisl. Lek. Listy, 112, 435, 2011.
- Kurzepa J., Stryjecka-Zimmer M. The effect of interferon β-1a on MMP-2 and MMP-9 proteolytic activity. Folia Biol. (Praha), 53, 220, 2007.
- Li L. et al. PSP/Reg inhibits cultured pancreatic stellate cell and regulates MMP/ TIMP ratio. Eur. J. Clin. Invest., 41, 151, 2011.
- Lichtinghagen R. et al. Expression and coordinated regulation of matrix metalloproteinases in chronic hepatitis C and hepatitis C virus-induced liver cirrhosis. Clin Sci (Lond). 105, 373, 2003.
- Lichtinghagen R. et al. Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 and their inhibitors in peripheral blood cells of patients with chronic hepatitis C. Clin. Chem., 46, 183, 2000.
- Lichtinghagen R. al. Matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-2, MMP-7, and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 are closely related to the fibroproliferative process in the liver during chronic hepatitis C. J. Hepatol., 34, 239, 2001.
- Lucivero V. et al. Different roles of matrix metalloproteinases-2 and -9 after human ischaemic stroke. Neurol. Sci. 28, 165, 2007.
- Madro A. et al. The decrease of serum MMP-2 activity corresponds to alcoholic cirrhosis stage. Alcohol, 46, 155, 2012.
- Moore C.S., Crocker S.J. An alternate perspective on the roles of TIMPs and MMPs in pathology. Am. J. Pathol., 180, 12, 2012.
- Naveau S. et al. Diagnostic and prognostic values of noninvasive biomarkers of fibrosis in patients with alcoholic liver disease. Hepatology 49, 97, 2009.
- Ng E.K. et al. Decreased type IV collagenase activity in experimental pancreatic fibrosis. J. Surg. Res., 96, 6, 2001.
- Onozuka I. et al. Cholestatic liver fibrosis and toxin-induced fibrosis are exacerbated in matrix metalloproteinase-2 deficient mice. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., 406, 134, 2011.
- Opdenakker G., Van den Steen P.E., Van Damme J. Gelatinase B: a tuner and amplifier of immune functions. Trends Immunol., 22, 571, 2001.
- Ponomarenko Y. et al. Effects of alcohol consumption on eight circulating markers of liver fibrosis. Alcohol Alcohol., 37, 252, 2002.
- Pugh R.N. et al. Transection of the oesophagus for bleeding oesophageal varices. Br. J. Sur., 60, 646, 1973.
- Rydzewska G., Jedynak M. The pathogenesis of alcoholic chronic pancreatitis. Gastroenterol. Pol., 5, 83, 1998.
- Yong V.W. et al. Matrix metalloproteinases and diseases of the CNS Trends Neurosci., 21, 75, 1998.